Saturday, January 6, 2018

Quilted silk jerkin

Almost finished! Yay!
I padded up a stand earlier in the fall, using a combination of measurements, and a former costume and some internet photos I found.
I thought I should double check everything by trying the jerkin on the padded stand.
I think it is pretty good.
I have made it as alterable as possible. I basically made front and back components which were finished separately before being sewn together into a garment.







The sides of the garment are open and can be adjusted with lacing.
If the adjustment is minimal the lacing will suffice.
If the adjustment needs to be greater, the lacing panels can be unstitched from the fronts and backs and restitched in another position. They could increase the size by four inches or reduce it by the same amount by moving the lacing strips.

Now it needs the buttonholes and buttons sewn on.

Then I can move forward with the sleeves which will be quilted as well, but they will be attached to an separate under bodice.

Once all that is complete, then I can work on the garment that is worn over top of it all.








Happy New Year to everyone. I wish you all the best in 2018.

We are in a bit of a deep freeze here, this morning it was -26C  and with the wind chill feeling like -35C ! We have lots of snow and more to come tomorrow so in an effort to embrace what we have, I am out the door shortly for a xc ski. It has warmed up to -22C Woohoo!

Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. Looks great - quilting can be SO tricky; this is so polished and smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this stage it looks like a historical antecedent to the body-warmer (I'd probably wear it). This is what Marty McFly would be wearing back in mediaeval England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work. Have you any pictures of it being worn? I'd love to see the fit as the patterns are quite shapely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all miss your posts, Terri! Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note, and thoughts
      I have had a rough year that has just taken up all my energy in coping with it.
      Still here just silent for now.

      Delete
  5. Hi Terri! I was wondering if you had an email address I could ask you a few short questions about pattern drafting with. If not, all good. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can ask here. I wont publish the comment but will reply privately if you include your emailin the comment.

      Delete
  6. Hello Terri! I see that there is no activity on Your blog lately. But I wanted to ask whether You You are still active? Not long ago I started sewing as a hobby. I'm interested in mid XX century fashion and I also have some questions about drafting. Your trouser series to be more specific :) Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am still here. The blog is dormant for the time being, but I do have plans for continuing in some form in the near future.
      If you want to talk, send me a comment with a way to contact you. I will not publish your information, but I will respond.
      Cheers

      Delete