Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Quilted jerkin

I am off and running on the next project which is a quilted jerkin.
this is for a gentleman with a size 56 chest, and I will not have a chance to fit him.
I made my pattern block, then padded up a stand at work to his shape using a variety of photos as reference.
Once I corrected the pattern, I marked it onto the base fabric. I also drew out all the quilting lines and sewed the darts.



















On the outside of the base, I basted the batting in place over a ham to keep the shape from being flattened. I then cut away one of the batting layers to reduce bulk in the seam allowance.









I transferred the vertical dart I used in the base to a new horizontal position that will align with a quilting line.
Sew the dart closed than baste the silk fabric to the base matching the dart with my quilt line position.














Then I sewed the first quilt line along my dart by machine from the inside.
Once that was complete, I basted the vertical curved quilting line and then sewed it by machine as well.













The next step was to quilt upwards from the first line. Then downwards towards the waisr, and then the remaining vertical quilt lines around the armhole.

















Do the same process to the other half of the back. Bind off the armholes and bottom edges. The CB seam allowances had a hong kong bias finish, then I joined the centre back seam.
Then I will bind the neckline with bias so it looks like the armhole finish.
Then I am onto the fronts.

Its a very nice red, quite seasonal in fact!



4 comments:

  1. Hi, I found a post of yours from several years back on the Cutter and Tailor forum and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about your career path, as I am a Canadian interested in getting into tailoring as a career and am not sure where to start. Sorry for posting this as a blog post comment but I couldn't find another way to contact you. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to answer your questions. You can make a new comment, include an email address that I can reach you at. I will not publish the comment so your email address will Be secure.

      Delete
    2. I received your email and i replied the next day.

      Delete