Thursday, March 15, 2012

suit fitting


Finally!
We've been waiting and waiting to get this suit fit, and today was the day.
The trousers are really too long, but that is easily fixable and since I had barely enough fabric to make this, I thought better too long than too short.

So this is a 2 button SB early 1930's inspired suit, and it is my favourite fabric so far of all the fabrics I have been given to work with. I don't know where it came from, but when they tried to order more, it was unavailable.
I had made up a quick toile because I didn't have extra fabric in case I goofed, so the fit is pretty good right off the bat. The sleeves need a bit of tweaking, they are cut with a dance gusset to allow more movement without pulling the body of the jacket too much.

Other than that and a tweak to adjust for his lower right side, there isn't too much to change, so finishing it shouldn't be too troublesome.

The difficult part may be finding buttons that we like in the correct size range. When waistcoats were more common, you could always buy four sizes of matching buttons: overcoat, suit front, waistcoat and cuff buttons. For quite a while now, the waistcoat has been out of style and that size of button almost non-existent. I can't remember what line size it is off the top of my head, but it measures 5/8". Since the buttons need to match, they will be a challenge to locate.
If anyone has a source for them I'd love to know about it. Remember they must be traditional suiting buttons though!

4 comments:

  1. http://www.schneiderknopf.de/shop/article_3001_colour%25206.22/Echt-B%C3%BCffelhorn-Classic-col.-6.html?shop_param=cid%3D45%26aid%3D3001_colour%25206.22%26
    I made good experiences with that firm.
    lg
    heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had good luck with http://www.bblackandsons.com/sewing-supplies-buttons-c-68_80_83.html?zenid=9e84c3c9244ad48a6c4b95a9fb2d56dd or my old standby http://www.cleanersupply.com/products/category.cfm?cID=324&startrow=1

    not sure if all colors are available in all sizes, though!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you be able to post the trouser draft instructions? I would really like to attempt making a pair.

    -e.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the button supply ideas.
    As for the trouser draft, it is a draft I have developed myself and as such is proprietary. At some future time I may publish it for sale.
    If you have access to any period drafts of the 1930's, you can try them out. The Modern Tailor Outfitter and Clothier trouser draft is a place to start and those books have been reprinted and are available for purchase.

    ReplyDelete